I am a moron.
Okay, allow me to clarify the capacity in which I'm a moron because trust me, it's several. I mean, take last night for example- I walked up and down a parking garage for over half an hour looking for my car before I realized/remembered/convinced myself that it wasn't a matter of not being on the right floor, it was a matter of not being in the right garage. Pretty moronic, yes? (NOTE TO SELF: Just try, for once, to note where you park. Not only will you be able to find your car easily, when someone asks "Where did you park?" you won't sound like an idiot when you're forced to reply "Umm...somewhere over...there...")
When I asked you all to submit lists of your 20 favorite horror movies, this is what I was thinking and planning: I'll end up with a master list of, say, 50 films. Then I can take the Top 31 and write about a film each day for the duration of SHOCKtober. Hooray, I thought, it will be a delight.
In hind sight, I can only assume that this was my reasoning that led me to that conclusion/outlook:
- Very few people would respond
- Everyone would pretty much list the same movies
- There are only, like, 62 horror movies altogether so no sweat
The master list, you see, comprises 732 movies. 732 MOVIES. I'll just let that sit there a moment.
Oh yeah, and please stop sending me lists as the deadline was a few days ago.
The overwhelming quantity made me A) want to kill myself at times and B) rethink my strategy and plans for the month. Basically, I'm going to "crunch" some "numbers" (a prospect I admittedly find thrilling) and "post up" a "shit ton" of lists. I'll countdown from Film #732 to Film #1 over the course of the month as well as feature other specialized lists. I've got some special guests providing their personal lists, lists, lists, fucking LISTS! Around Final Girl this SHOCKtober, it's ListMania. Everyone loves lists, though, so we should all have a super time.
Tired of the word "lists" yet?
A few notes:
- There's a chance- a verrrrrrrry slim one, I hope- that some of the titles will be dupicates. I mean, I know that Bay of Blood is also readily known as Twitch of the Death Nerve, but maybe there'll be some instance where my ignorance leads to a movie getting listed twice. Pretty sure it'll be fine, but I am just saying.
- If no director or year was given for a particular film, I gave credit to the original version.
- I counted 20 movies for each person who submitted. If you gave me a list consisting of 20 titles and for, say, #5 you put "The Saw series", that counts as Saw, sorry. Same with #5) The Fog (both versions)- they're not the same movie, so they count as two separate films.
- Don't worry, no one put The Fog (2005) on their list of favorite horror movies. PHEW.
- Everything's ranked...sorta. Yes, I'll be counting down to a winner and I'll indicate how many votes each film got. But when multiple movies get the same number of votes, the final "ranking" will be arbitrary. Does that make sense? Like, if Numbers 732-650 each had one vote apiece, then #730 isn't much different from #683.
- I'll link to my review of whatever titles I've reviewed.
- I'll be posting everyday, frequently more than once so keep your eyes and wigs peeled.
- I don't know what "keep your wigs peeled" means, exactly, but I'd love to find out.